Language Exchange Program: Learn Mandarin and Teach English in China
Aston offers a special language exchange program to learn Mandarin and teach English.
Teach 10 hours of English lessons per week in our school and we will give you the same amount of Mandarin lessons. (English lessons range from 20 to 120 minutes in length.) We might occasionally offer you overtime teaching, for which you will be paid. Teaching hours are flexible from week to week, with the total being counted at the end of the month. Any hours in excess will be paid then.
The Language Exchange Project is open to anyone who is interested in Chinese language and culture. It is perfect for current undergraduates and recent high-school graduates but we also welcome participants who are older and have life and professional experience. Participants not only gain teaching experience with us, but have a unique opportunity to study Chinese in very small classes.
Arrive in Shanghai or Nanjing, one of our staff picks you up at the airport.
Tour of downtown Wuhu
Observe experienced teachers' lessons
Basic Chinese lessons (how to order food, how to ask where things are, etc.)
Dinner out with all the new LE participants, teachers and Aston staff.
Social events, such as movies, outings, etc.
Begin Chinese classes
Autumn Term 2018 (Exact Dates to be Decided)
Airport pick-up 1 or 2 September
Training and orientation 3-15 September
First day of term 15 September
Last day of term 13 January 2019
Spring 2019 (Exact Dates to be Decided)
Term will begin mid to late February
Term will end around the end of June
Term will begin around the end of June
Term will end at the end of August
Cost of Participation:
1. Return flight/Round Trip
London or another UK city to Shanghai, cost around £500 (GBP)
Sydney to Shanghai, cost around $900 (AUD)
New York to Shanghai, cost around $675 (US)
Los Angeles to Shanghai, cost around $720 (US)
2. Single entry VISA
£60 (GBP) for British nationals
40 Euro for Irish nationals
$140 (USD) for US nationals
$60 (AUD) for Australian nationals
3. Overseas Travel Insurance (optional, but recommended)
The school provides:
1. Free Accommodation. A private single room and a living/dining room, bathroom and toilet shared with other participants
2. Internet, gas, electricity and water are provided (the use of air-conditioner over 400kW/H units per term and telephone charges must be paid for by the participant)
3. Free lunch from Tuesday to Sunday during term time
4. Airport pick-up at either Nanjing or Shanghai airport
5. A stipend of 1200RMB per month
6. Free two-day trip to Jiuhua Mountain
7. Ten hours of free Chinese lessons a week
8. Help with booking train tickets and hotels
To apply for our Language Exchange Program please send a CV or application form and a cover letter, degree certificate (student ID or unofficial transcript is required, if the participant is a university current student) via e-mail to:
Russell Forrest, Program Director
Aston Language Centre
1) Currently enrolled university students and graduates, or people who are interested in Chinese language and culture
2) Native English speakers are not preferred, but a high standard of English is required
3) Teaching experience an asset, but not essential (training and teaching materials provided)
4) Easy going personality, responsible and patient with young children
Aston Language Centre was founded in 2001 and is located in Wuhu City, Anhui Province, China. Our aim is to provide high quality and affordable language courses to local Chinese students. In 2010, we taught over 10,000 Chinese students, from ages 3 to 62.
Aston not only provides English, Japanese, German, French and Korean courses for local Wuhu residents, but also provides Chinese Mandarin courses for foreign students from all over the world who wish to improve their language skills and their understanding of Chinese culture.
We also organise an annual summer and winter camps in the UK, USA and Australia.
Our full time teachers are recruited from countries in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and North America, and enjoy the opportunity to teach, study and travel in China.
1) Currently enrolled university students and graduates, or people who are interested in Chinese language and culture.
2) Native English speakers preferred.
3) Teaching experience an asset, but not essential (training and teaching materials provided).
4) Easy going personality, responsible and patient with young children.
Anhui, Asia, China, East of China, Worldwide
Wuhu, Anhui Province, China
Contract and working hours
Temporary · Part-time
open, daytime, weekends
01/09/2018 · Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter
How to apply
Number of vacancies: 10
To apply for our Language Exchange Project please send: · An up to date résumé · Cover letter explaining your goals in joining the program
Program Director: Mr. Russell Forrest
Aston Language Centre
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 02/08/2018